San Leopardo’s Cathedral
Open every day 8:00-12.30/15:30-19:00
The cathedral of osimo
The cathedral, a majestic building in white stone, built in the XII century, preserves in the crypt the remains of Saint Leopardo, first bishop of the city and the sepulchers of the saints bishops Bevenuto, Vitaliano, Vittore, Corona and Filippo.
The most important altar, richly decorated, hosts the bodies of the first witnesses of the Christian Osiman faith, the saints martyrs Fiorenzio, Sisinio and Diocleziano that suffered the lapidation in the locality of Roncisvalle in 304 a.C. and the body of Massimo, martyrized in Salaria road, guilty as the others, of professing the new religion. Going up again the stairs of the crypt, before leaving the church, wait and observe in front of the Chapel of the Saint Crucifix. Here is preserved an artwork that has an important virtue to the eyes of the devotees: it’s a wooden crucifix in archaic style of the XII century that since the 2nd July 1796 for many months, opened the eyes and the mouth in front of the devotees. The prodigious event made the cathedral the destination of various pilgrimages that nowadays is usual to celebrate the recurring.